The Mobile Homes (Site Rules) (England) Regulations 2014 (the “Regulations”) will come into force on 4 February 2014. The aim of the Regulations is to ensure that all site rules for residential parks are:
- correctly notified to residents and local authorities;
- used to maintain site standards that are of general benefit to residents; and
- used to promote and maintain community cohesion.
The Regulations stipulate a clear procedure that site owners must follow when deleting and amending existing site rules and introducing new ones.
Site owners will have a duty to:
- consult with their residents about the rules by serving written notice on them of the proposed deletions, amendments and introductions;
- properly consider any representations made by the residents in relation to those proposals;
- after the consultation procedure has finished formally notify residents of any deleted, amended or new site rules; and
- deposit notice of any amended, deleted or new site rules with the local authority.
Site owners must use specific government forms to comply with their consultation and notification obligations.
Residents will have the opportunity to appeal any decisions made by the site owners if the consultation procedure is not correctly followed or if they believe a site owners’ decision is unreasonable.
Any existing site rules made before 26 May 2013 must be ‘renewed using the consultation and notification procedure and will cease to have effect on 4 February 2015 if that procedure is not followed.
Please get in touch if you require any further information about the Regulations or how to implement and comply with the consultation and negotiation procedure on your site.
Holiday and Home Parks Team
0113 227 9209